Building Department Email: email@example.com
Prior to any construction, please contact the municipal office and obtain an application to apply for a permit, OR advise your contractor that permits are required.
You may obtain a Building Application Form for ACW Township here, however permits must be returned with an original signature by fax, in person or via mail.
*Please refer to the General Provisions Section 3.4 of the By-Law 32-2008|Comprehensive Zoning for the Township of Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh to determine where the building or structure may be erected.
Please be advised that any construction that is started without first obtaining a building permit will be charged three times the cost of the permit fee.
When is a Building Permit Required?
The Ontario Building Code is a Provincial regulation that is enforced and administered by the Building Department of the Township of Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh. The Ontario Building Code pertains to the structural, health, and fire safety of buildings and ensures construction meets or exceeds a specific minimum standard. Whether or not you need a building permit, you should consult with the building department to ensure your proposal complies with the Township’s zoning bylaw.
You will need a building permit for:
- Construction of a new building
- Renovating an existing building
- Additions to existing buildings
- Finishing off a basement
- Re-insulating walls when exterior or interior cladding has been removed
- Making structural alterations to window and / or door openings
- A new attached or detached garage, porch, balcony or deck, carports, sunrooms, solariums, sheds
- Excavating a basement or constructing a foundation
- Installation of new fireplaces, wood burning stoves, chimneys
- Farm buildings and additions, silos, steel grain bins, liquid manure tanks,
- Swimming pools, above and in ground
- Renovations and alterations
- Changing the use of a building
- Demolition of a building, except for farm buildings
- Wind turbines
You do not need a building permit to:
- Replace existing same sized doors and windows
- Installing siding
- Construct a utility shed under 107 square feet (See noted asterisk above)
- Erect a fence (except for swimming pools, also must meet zoning provisions)
- Re-shingle a roof with no structural work
- Installing eaves trough, provided the drainage is on your land
- Painting or decorating
- Kitchen or bathroom cabinets
- Huron County Health Unit, Sewage and Plumbing: (519) 482-3416 – Larry Fulton
- Huron County Health Unit, Plumbing: (519) 482-3416 – Rob Breicken
- Maitland Valley Conservation Authority: (519) 335-3557 – Brandi Walter
- Electrical Safety Authority, Electrical Inspector: (519) 274-3251 – Brian Bromley
Monica Walker-Bolton, our Township Planner is in the office frequently. Please contact the municipal office if you would like to set up an appointment to meet with her.