Show Menu Home Search Contact Us Recent Updates RSS Feed Information About Accessibility

Road Department

Temporary Road Closures


Construction and Alteration of Entranceways/Accesses to township roads requires the issuance of an access permit and/or permission from the Public Works Superintendent.  An Entrance Permit fee of $35 is required at time of request as well as a Refundable Deposit cheque of $339 which will be returned when final inspection has been completed and approved.

Drainage Tile, etc.

All excavations across or under township roads or road allowances must be authorized by the Public Works Superintendent or Lead Hands before such work commences. To view the Drainage Works Policy, please click here.

Fence Repair

Planting of Hedges, Trees and Windbreaks

All coniferous trees, hedges and windbreaks must be situated a minimum of 20 feet from township road allowance property lines.


Property owners laneways will be not be maintained by the township.

Abandoned Vehicles

Abandoned vehicles left on township road allowances shall be towed away at the owner’s expense.

Please be advised that the Township of Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh plow operators have the authority to call tow trucks to remove vehicles interfering with Winter Maintenance.

Manure, Rockpiles, Brush and Debris

Manure, rockpiles, brush or debris will not be permitted on the road or road allowance. If not removed within a limited time period, the township will arrange for removal and the property owner involved will be billed for the cost.


Mailboxes are to be installed at least 1 meter off the shoulder of the road. Damage caused by snow coming off of township equipment will be the property owners responsibility. If there is sufficient evidence that the township equipment came in direct contact with the mailbox, the township shall be liable for damages at the discretion of the Public Works Superintendent.

Township Road Allowances

Annual Letter of Request forms must be filled out in order for any work to be carried out by the township.

Please fax, mail or hand deliver copies back. Electronic versions of this form will not be accepted. Letters of Request for annual road maintenance on unassumed roads on a cost recovery basis must be received by April 1st each year.


Drainage of properties are not allowed to outlet onto Road Allowances.

Local Improvements

Municipal Development and Servicing Guidelines